Outpatient Therapies at Kernan Hospital
Program for Patients with Multiple Sclerosis
For More Information
The MS Day Program at Kernan enables individuals with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) to achieve and maintain the highest possible level of independence and quality of life. The group meets Mondays through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Learn more >>
We provide a full range of therapy services for patients with multiple sclerosis
(MS) in the Outpatient Neuro area. Therapy providers offer high quality individualized
rehabilitation and serve as a source of community contact information and ideas
for patients, their families, and caregivers.
The rehabilitation program includes a thorough patient examination followed
by the development of goals that allow each patient to achieve the highest
level of function possible. Therapist expertise, current best available research,
and patient need guide the individualized treatment program, which includes
the following areas:
- Fall prevention through safe transfers and ambulation;
- Efficiency in ambulation;
- Spasticity management;
- Seating clinic recommendations and facilitation;
- Energy conservation;
- Exercise program development and education, specifically designed for each individual patient;
- Training for maximal independence in ability to self-feed, dress, groom, provide personal hygiene, and complete other daily living tasks;
- Memory techniques to increase daily function;
- Swallowing assessment and recommendations for maximal nutrition management;
- Speech intelligibility/vocal volume training;
- Visual-perceptual training and/or appropriate visual referrals;
- Splinting; and
- Specialized training with adaptive equipment for increased efficiency
with daily tasks.
Therapy interventions vary according to direct patient need. The number of
visits also varies but generally ranges from a one-time only visit for a consultation
to one to two visits per week for several weeks, depending on individual
patient needs. In addition, we have a readily available supply of patient educational
materials to share without charge.
Please note that we require
a physician’s referral and insurance authorization for this program.
For further information or to arrange an appointment, please call 410-448-6421.