Physicians and Staff
For More Information
- Lokomat: Kernan is the only facility in Maryland with a robotic treadmill that may help patients with spinal cord injuries or stroke to walk again.
- Stroke Resources: Kernan offers a stroke support group and a stroke weekly seminar for inpatients and their families.
At admission, members of the patient care team provide comprehensive assessments of patient needs.
The team members then work together to create an individualized treatment plan and provide ongoing care designed to help the patient regain his health and work toward his rehabilitation goals.
Based on the patient's needs, the following specialists may be included on the patient care team.
Patient Care Team
- Patient Care Associates/Nursing Technicians
- Certified Rehabilitation Nurses (RNS)
- Speech-language pathologists
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Case managers
- Therapeutic Recreational therapists
- Clinical dietician
- Psychiatry support staff
- Respiratory therapists
The patient care team holds weekly team conferences to discuss and re-evaluate the patient's progress and goals. In addition, the services of an audiologist, vocational counselor, home medical equipment vendors, driver education instructor, and wheelchair/orthotic-prosthetic technicians are provided on the unit through referrals to outside agencies.
To refer a patient to the Stroke Unit Rehabilitation Program, or for more information, contact the University Post-Acute Care Referral Service at 410-328-8680.