BIONESS H200: Electrical Stimulation Hand Unit
Patients who have had a stroke, brain injury or spinal cord injury sometimes have problems
with neurological abilities, such as grasping and other routine tasks using their hands. The
Bioness H200 helps patients improve hand function and voluntary movement, allowing them to
return to daily activities with confidence.
The Electrical Stimulation Hand Unit uses functional electrical stimulation to improve
How does it work?
The Bioness H200 has five surface electrodes integrated into the system to stimulate and activate
the hand and facilitate neuromuscular re-education. Therapy programs and function modes are
pre-programmed, providing the clinician and the patient control over hand activation. Once the
device is fitted on a patient, movement can begin immediately.
Goals of the Bioness H200
- Improve patient's hand function
- Treat impairments such as spasticity, limited hand function and range of motion
- Achieve independence in a functional task or activities of daily living with the assistance of electrical stimulation
- Improve impairments in the upper extremity with the goal of maintaining change when the electrical stimulation is removed.
Who is a candidate for the Bioness H200?
- Patients with injuries to the central nervous system resulting in a motor deficit of the upper limb.
- Any patient with initial hand impairment is a potential candidate.
What are the benefits of the Bioness H200?
- Improving hand active range of motion and function
- Improving voluntary movement
- Reducing muscle spasms
- Re-educating muscles
- Maintaining or increasing range of motion, resulting in the prevention of contractures
- Preventing or retarding disuse atrophy
- Increasing local blood circulation
Patients with the following conditions should exercise caution when using the Bioness H200:
- Patients with demand-type cardiac pacemakers
- Stimulation should not be applied directly over the area of a malignant tumor
- Stimulation should not be used over areas of regional disorders, such as fractures or dislocations
- Do not use simultaneously with high-frequency surgical equipment
- Do not use in proximity to short wave microwave therapy equipment
- Inflammation in the region of the H200 may be aggravated by motion, muscle activity or pressure from the orthosis
- Use caution if the patient has suspected or known epilepsy
- Use during pregnancy has not been established
- Use around water
- May trigger autonomic dysreflexia in patients with spinal cord injuries
- Must receive MD clearance in clients with:
- Alteration or normal arterial or venous flow due to arterial insufficiency, occlusion,
AV fistula, or primary disorder of vasculature
Rehabilitation and the Bioness H200:
- Integrates into traditional and contemporary rehabilitation practices/approaches
- Provides valuable direct and indirect central nervous system input
- Allows for high volume and repetition (dosage)
- Enables specific task training
- Encourages patients to be active participants
For More Information: